The Massachusetts Legislature under the Acts of 2016 (Chapter 121) passed An Act to Improve Public Records into law. This requires municipalities and agencies such as MART to revise their Public Records policies and create guidelines to help requestors make informed requests. Under this law MART designated two Records Access Officers (RAO). Their contact information is as follows:
Public Information Records
All MART policies which govern the operations of our transit and brokerage services can be found within this searchable website. Click here for MART’s Public Records Guidelines which includes a list of record categories.
Anyone may make a public records request in the following manner:
- In person at our Admin Headquarters located at 1427R Water St, Fitchburg, MA
- Written request hand delivered to Admin Headquarters
- By first class mail addressed to the RAO at their address
- By facsimile to 978-345-9867
- By email sent to RAO@marttransit.infojiniconsulting.com
Oral requests may be made over the phone but are not subject to appeal
A detailed database of all requests will be retained. MART is obligated to respond to such requests within 10 business days (M-F) after receipt of the request, and provide a copy of or access to the records within 25 business days. All requests will be fulfilled electronically (pdf format) to an email address provided by the requestor; where possible.
Records may be subject to redaction or segregation if they contain information that may not be disclosed by law, is exempt under the public records law, or is subject to other legally applicable privileges. If the nature of the request is such that a fee may be charged in order to provide the records, an estimate will be provided to the requestor before any work is performed to fulfill the request. MART has the legal right to charge a fee under the following circumstances:
- If the data is too large to be emailed, a data storage device may be used. The cost of such a device may be charged to the requestor.
- If the requestor cannot or will not accept an electronic format, then paper copies may be provided at the cost of 5 cents per page. MART will double-side copies to save pages.
- If the requestor demands that paper copies be mailed to them, MART may charge the cost of the postage.
- If compliance with requests takes more than 2 hours to produce, due to the volume or nature of the request (ex: redaction is required), a rate not to exceed $25/hr for each hour over 2 hours will be charged.